Monday, October 27, 2014

Give it a rest will you?

Numerous nights I spent trying to fall asleep but ironically, my eyes would only grow heavy from all the attempts of falling to sleep. As such, I will try something different for a change. As I sit by the ledge of this room of mine, I will immerse myself in my unspoken thoughts that I long neglected.

The past three months had been an eye opener and much of a culture shock for me. University is really a totally different ball game altogether. Everything is all about grades. Everyone seems to be competitive. No wait, everyone is competitive. Grades are all that matter at the end of the day. Every day, apart from the lectures and assignments we have to keep up with, there will always be test dates or reports due at the back of our minds. These just make uni life a mundane vicious cycle because week in and out, your workload will be similar to the week before and it gets piled up every single week. It is a no wonder you see people with the word "stress" scribbled all over their faces. Of course there are exceptions but mostly, the stress is there.

Nonetheless, I learnt that in order for us to survive this experience, it is always good to have friends that you can rely on to make going to school less miserable than it already is. I am thankful to have such great company at my hall and also my new friends. I guess sometimes you don't always have to carry the burden by yourself.

It is always hard making the right decision or saying the right things. At times, you can't help but to swallow your words despite the fact that you are right but would rather leave it as it is so as to alleviate the situation. At times, you just don't have the heart to say it because you will risk hurting one's feelings. Ignorance is really a bitch but then again, what can be done if one decides to just be that way.

"Treat others the way you would want them to treat you or treat them the way they treat you?" That question never fails to amuse me. It is hard to give an answer because for both, it can be dependent on your mood at that point in time. True enough that the ethical answer will be to treat others the way you would treat them but then again, they are not you and they do not think or act accordingly like you. So it will backfire and that leaves us to the other option which is the less ethical one.

If you ask me, the first is the ethical and the one I will choose because although others may not be me but they do not define who I am or who I should be. They do not dictate who I will be. It is all about your own principles my friend and you stand by it unless your principles are a little flawed then you change it for the better. Then again,  that's my stand and my decision alone. Others may differ in opinions

No comments: